bbPress Slack integration inconsistencies

Home Forums Web Hosting Forum bbPress Slack integration inconsistencies

This topic contains 7 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Keith Taylor 2 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster
    Ŧollars: Ŧ 1 ,161.56

I’ve started using Josh Pollock’s JP bbPress Slack Integration plugin, so I can monitor new forum topics and replies from my phone.

I tested it OK this morning, but now noticing inconsistencies. On investigation, these seem to be size related. I.e. short messages go through, but longer ones don’t – no good for wafflers like me.

I can’t find any reference to message size limits for incoming webhooks on Slack. However, in the plugin code, there is a 500 character limit imposed. Maybe that’s too big? I’m going to experiment with smaller numbers to see if I can work this out.

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster

Whatever the limit is, it seems to be less than 490. Time for a better strategy, so I’ll try 400. If that doesn’t work, I’ll work up from the size of a message that has gone through OK.

Live troubleshooting in action!

It’s one of those typical problems with tech. If I new what the limit was called, I might be able to find it. If not, good old trial and error has to work eventually.

This would be less tedious if the bbPress editor had a character counter. Without that, copy and paste into http://www.charactercountonline.com/ is working.

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster

Nope! No success with 400 characters – assuming I’ve hacked the WordPress plugin code OK??!!

Biggest message I can see that has gone through so far is 131 characters. I wonder if Twitter is an influence here? Let’s try 100, just to test the hacking principle.

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster

Yo! success! 😀

I can confirm there is probably a bug in the WordPress JP bbPress Slack Integration plugin. It’s a simple plug-in, which I’ll probably just adopt as a Code snippet. The offending lines are:

$excerpt = wp_trim_words( $post->post_content );
    		if ( 100 < strlen( $excerpt ) ) {
    			$excerpt = substr( $excerpt, 0, 100 );

Which started at 500, and failed at 400. 100 is OK, so the next logical attempt is 250.

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster

Nope! 250 too high. And why did the code get scrambled?

if ( 250 < strlen( $excerpt ) ) {
    			$excerpt = substr( $excerpt, 0, 250 );
    		}

Let’s try another binary chop at 175.

I need the character counter check, to make sure my message is bigger than the limit I’m testing.

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster

Maybe my Twitter thought is relevant? 175 doesn’t work. In desperation I’ll try half way between 131 and 175. Surely, I can have 153 characters? Even Twitter is more generous than that.

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster

Yippee! 153 is probably enough for my purposes. I only want to know if a message has arrived. Maybe I should have stuck at 153, but I can’t resist one last attempt.

Can I send 160 characters from a bbPress forum to Slack?

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster

Yes I can! 😀

bbPress Slack Webhook Message Limit bbPress Slack Webhook Message Limit: Slack screenshot

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by  Keith Taylor. Reason: Screenshot of Slack messages that got through
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by  Keith Taylor.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by  Keith Taylor.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by  Keith Taylor. Reason: bbPress will need tweaking if it is to display WP media with caption!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.