Broken MesoColumn WordPress Theme

Home Forums Web Hosting Forum Broken MesoColumn WordPress Theme

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Keith Taylor 2 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Anna
    Participant
    Ŧollars: Ŧ 46.25

My client has an under-used website that I want to bring into Shrewdies management, so he can focus on improving his online business.

In preparing for transfer, my client update the WordPress core, plugins, and themes. I’d already advised him about backing up, and about Shrewdies recommended plugins. I never discussed the theme, but he update that anyway.

His theme is MesoColumn, which was run under a child theme. Now, the site is displaying:
    Fatal error: Call to undefined function get_theme_option() in /var/sites/f/example.co.uk/public_html/wp-content/themes/mesocolumn-child-01/header.php on line 32

Is there a quick way to fix this?

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster
    Ŧollars: Ŧ 1 ,161.56

Thanks Anna for the private message via the orange Internet Help button. With the site login details, I’ve fixed this now.

To fix it, I recreated a new child using Orbisius Child Theme Creator, the re-applied the child customizations using Orbisius Child Theme Editor. I also had to re=apply the color changes through Customizer.

Fortunately, these changes were small. For an extensively customized theme, I would have recommended restoring the previous version of MesoColumn, then proceeding more carefully.

To avoid this in future, I always recommend checking what has changed before you update WordPress Themes. This is slightly harder than checking WordPress plugin changes. I’ll do more in-depth notes about this in the website guidelines. A rough guide is:

1. Goto Admin-Appearance and look for the parent theme that has an update available.
    2. Click on Details, then click View version N.n details where N.n is the new version number.
    3. Scroll down, and click Development Log under ‘Browse the Code’.
    4. There are lots of ways to explore the WordPress Theme Development Log. We are looking for details of the changes since the last version. 1 easy way is to click the revision number next to the latest change at the top of the list of versions.
    5. Click the folder of the latest version. Then browse the file list. Excellent themes will have a file called changelog.txt. Good themes might record the changelog details within the readme file.

If you are uncertain, please start a new topic here with your theme name, and the old version number. I will check if significant changes are likely to affect your website.

Do you want to be absolutely certain that changes to WordPress themes will not adversely affect the look and feel of your website? Talk to me about setting up a staging area for you. This is a working copy of your website with a different address. It allows you to test radical changes to your website before you commit to changing your live site.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.