Easy bbPress posting

Home Forums Web Hosting Forum Easy bbPress posting

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Foodary Helpdesk 3 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

GoutPal Gout Support
    Participant
    Ŧollars: Ŧ 0.48

I notice that your sidebar has a prominent link to this form, for adding new topics quickly. I understand that it links to #new-post which is normally hidden until users log in.

On my existing bbPress forum, which I want to move to this community, my theme allows for the link to the new topic, even for visitors who are not logged in. The theme then shows the form to logged-in users, or a login prompt for non-logged-in visitors.

Can I achieve this within this community?

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster
    Ŧollars: Ŧ 1 ,165.43

bbPress is very easy to customize, but you need to understand how to apply the customization. Unfortunately, the number of hooks available to bbPress is less than many more modern advanced plugins. This does not prevent customization, but it often means that we have to edit child themes, rather than the preferred way of adding snippets, or plugin add-ons.

The key to customizing themes for bbPress enhancements is to copy the defaults. bbPress has it’s own default theme within the plugin, stored in wp-content/plugins/bbpress/templates/default/bbpress/. You can easily browse to these if you have a local copy of the bbPress plugin. If not, use the built-in WordPress Plugin Editor, and navigate to:

1. bbpress/templates/index.php
    2. bbpress/templates/default/bbpress-functions.php
    3. Then use Ctrl-F to find bbpress/templates/default/bbpress/form-topic.php

Don’t edit the live bbPress plugin defaults, or else you will lose your enhancements when you update the next release. Simply copy the contents of form-topic.php to your child-theme. You do not need any sub-folders, so simply use your Orbisius Child Editor to create a new form-topic.php and paste in the contents.

The simplified logic of form-topic.php is such that it displays a topic posting form to logged-in members, or a notice reminding other visitors that they have to log-in. The form has an id of new-post, which allows us to link directly to the form. Unfortunately, the default template does not put a similar id on the corresponding notice.

All we need to do is to change the line:

<div class="bbp-template-notice">

to

<div class="bbp-template-notice" id="new-post">

As a further enhancement, I always change the wording of the notice that follows. In my case, I need links to my explanations page(s) and a call to the Social Login function.

This makes it much easier for members to login and find find the form where they can post their new topic.

I also change the wording of the notice in form-reply.php so it is easier for members to log-in and reply.

GoutPal Gout Support
    Participant
    Ŧollars: Ŧ 0.48

Thanks, that works just great. Perhaps you could change the wording of the log-in reminder notice on this forum? 😉 It certainly makes logging in easier, compared to clicking the menubar at the top of the screen.

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster

Yeah, good idea about changing the theme for this site to include the login help. I’ve only delayed it as I think if this can be done as a function somehow, so I don’t need to keep changing it whenever there’s a theme change.

Either way, I’ll let you add it as a suggestion in Shrewdies Ideas Lab. I’m gradually adding more suggestions there, then I can prioritize them by their popularity.

Foodary Helpdesk
    Participant
    Ŧollars: Ŧ -11.15

Please can you also add this to my forum (or should I raise a support ticket?)

Keith Taylor
      Keymaster

OK, Foodary, I’m on with it as soon as I finish this reply.

I’m not too bothered if you ask for support in the forum, or raise a ticket. Generally speaking, I prefer the forum, so other users can see what is happening, and maybe learn something useful.

The only downside with the forum, is that I might not see your request if the forum is busy. This shouldn’t happen if you start a new topic, and mark it as a support topic. However, as a reply to an already resolved issue, it isn’t obvious to me that you need changes to your bbPress installation.

If you have a support issue with WordPress admin, it’s often best to raise a ticket using the WordPress Help button that I’ve installed for all my managed clients, and some self-managed sites. That way, I can see which admin task you have an issue with, and you can clarify with a screenshot if necessary.

Perhaps I should introduce a ShrewdSite guide for administrators, and one for users? Please add your suggestions to Shrewdies Ideas Lab, if you want this.

Foodary Helpdesk
    Participant
    Ŧollars: Ŧ -11.15

Thanks Keith, it’s working great now. Or, at least it seems to be! It’s time for me to push some topics into bbPress that have become overdue.

I’m not sure if I need a ShrewdSite guide, as the WordPress admin is now much easier for me since I moved my site to Keith Taylor Networks. Maybe I could use a forum guide though. I’ll have a think about that, and post a suggestion if I can explain what I need.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.