Feasibility of shrewdies.com import

Home Forums Web Hosting Forum Web Business Projects Import Shrewdies.com to MultiSite Feasibility of shrewdies.com import

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Keith Taylor 3 years, 3 months ago.

• Author

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster
    Ŧollars: Ŧ 1 ,165.43

The purpose of this project is:
    To reduce WordPress administration for Shrewdies.com, and improve CloudFlare security, by importing into Shared ShrewdSite.

@shrewdies I’ve paraphrased your statements from Transfer website into a Shared ShrewdSite to produce the Project Purpose Statement above. Sometimes, we need to quantify expected rewards such as ‘reduce administration’ or ‘improve security.’ However this is not necessary from my point of view, so I’m happy to proceed with checking our next step. Please suggest amendments to that statement if you wish. It may evolve as the project continues, anyway.

I’m hoping that we can organize a straightforward import, but you need to provide some details to see if that is feasible. The import process handles most content, but some manual preparation is required for:
    Transfer Users to MultiSite
    Users have to be created manually in MultiSite first, then mapped during the import. There is no hard and fast rule about an exact number, but it takes about two minutes per user to transfer manually, and is tedious. Users without content should be deleted to make the manual process easier (but take a backup before you start.
    How many active users do you have?

Transfer Child Theme(s) to MultiSite
    Each shared multisite has it’s own child themes. Often, we can transfer existing child themes. Alternatively, we can prepare existing child themes for you. I’ve sent you a private message with our current themes, as I’m still preparing my ShrewdSite Theme portfolio. If you want me to use your existing child theme, please arrange for me to have Administrator access to Shrewdies.com so I can review it. To minimize potential confusion, it is wise to delete unwanted themes now, but remember to backup first.
    Please say which ShrewdSite Theme(s) you prefer, or tell me if you want to transfer your current theme.

Transfer Plugins to MultiSite
    Essential plugins are already available for all ShrewdSites. I can make most other plugins available, but I must check them for safety and compatibility first. Again, it is wise to delete unwanted plugins now, but remember to backup first.
    Which WordPress plugins do you use

Transfer Settings to Multisite
    As part of the import procedures, I manually set all WordPress Admin Settings. You should review these now.
    Please confirm that all settings are as you want, or give details of any that you wish to change during the import.
    Transfer Unlinked Media to Multisite
    Unlinked media will not be transferred. Please review all your media attachments and attach them, or delete them. Again, you should take a backup first.
    Do you have any unlinked media that must be transferred?

If your responses to these questions indicate that a standard import is feasible, we will arrange a transfer date for the next step. If not, I will review our alternatives so that we can decide the best way to proceed.

If there is anything that you don’t understand about my questions, please ask for clarification. I’m marking this as a support topic, as we cannot proceed with the project until my questions are answered.

Anna
    Participant
    Ŧollars: Ŧ 45.65

I like the Purpose Statement, and I’ve added my comments to my original post: Transfer website into Shared ShrewdSites. Here’s my answers:

How many active users do you have?
    Just 2, and one of them is the Administrator, with no posts.

Please say which ShrewdSite Theme(s) you prefer, or tell me if you want to transfer your current theme.
    I’d like to switch to the TimeTurner theme, but is it available in brown to match my logo colors?

Which WordPress plugins do you use
    CloudFlare
    CloudFlare Threat Management
    Compress JPEG & PNG images
    Functionality
    GYS Themed Categories
    Inline Google Spreadsheet Viewer
    Orbisius Child Theme Creator
    Safe Redirect Manager
    Shrewdies
    Wordfence Security
    WordPress Backup to Dropbox
    Yoast SEO

All plugins are latest versions.

Please confirm that all settings are as you want, or give details of any that you wish to change during the import.
    I’ve fallen at the first item with this. I want to refocus and call the site: ‘Shrewdies Online Business Guide’ with a tagline ‘Online Business the Shrewd Way.’ There’s a motto in the TimeTurner Theme. I’m thinking of regressing to the first inspiration for the Shrewdies name, and making the motto: ‘Not For Dummies’ Does this sound OK, because it has implications for the logo? Which brings me to…

Do you have any unlinked media that must be transferred?
    There’s a couple of Logo images that I uploaded via the Appearances – Header interface. I don’t think they’ll fit too well with my new theme. Shall I just delete them, or do I have to keep them for better site identity?

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster

Great answers – they tell me that it’s definitely feasible to opt for a simple procedure to import standalone Shrewdies.com into WordPress MultiSite. I need to do a little more preparation before I can produce a timetable for the transfer. Here’s an overview based on your answers.

1. Users – very straightforward import mapping, and the users are in place. We need to ensure that any biographical information on Shrewdies.com for the author is copied to the user profile here.
    2. Theme – I will prepare a brown child theme to match Shrewdies.com colors.
    3. Plugins – most of your plugins are enabled or available for ShrewdSites. See summary below.
    4. Settings – I will copy these during the transfer.
    5. Media – linked media will get imported automatically. I will provide replacement Logo and Icon for the shared site, incorporating the title change to Online Business Guide.

As I say, I’ll prepare a detailed timetable once I have completed that preparation. The overview is:

1. I create a private shared site with all necessary themes, plugins, and settings.
    2. You approve the look and feel.
    3. You stop updating your site, and produce the export file.
    4. I import to the private site and perform system checks.
    5. You approve the whole site.
    6. I delete Shrewdies.com, and make the private shared site the new shared Shrewdies.com.

The plugin summary is:
    Shared ShrewdSite Enabled:

• CloudFlare
    • CloudFlare Threat Management
    • Orbisius Child Theme Creator
    • Wordfence Security
    • WordPress Backup to Dropbox
    • Yoast SEO

Shared ShrewdSite Available:

• Compress JPEG & PNG images

Functionality/Shrewdies is available as Code Snippets by Shea Bunge, the author of Functionality. These plugins remove the need to edit functions.php in Theme files. I will ensure current functions are transferred to Snippets before importing, including any that might be lurking in your current Theme.

Other Plugins:

• GYS Themed Categories
    • Inline Google Spreadsheet Viewer
    • Safe Redirect Manager

I will make these available as approved ShrewdSite plugins.

When I’m ready to create the timetable, I will do so as a separate topic, and mark this step as resolved. In the meantime, please discuss any thoughts you have about this WordPress MultiSite Import

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster

Hi @shrewdies,

I’ve completed step 1. above, “I create a private shared site with all necessary themes, plugins, and settings.” I’ve shared a link to it with you via email, and so I will start a new thread for the website transfer timetable.

Please note that the transfer site has limited content, so you should just focus on how it looks, colors, font-sizes, etc. Specifically, because they’re not imported yet, there are no menus. I’ll include ‘menu review’ on the website transfer timetable.

If all is OK with the theme, please mark this thread as resolved. If not, I’ll resolve any issues prior to starting the import, or as part of the transfer process.

Anna
    Participant
    Ŧollars: Ŧ 45.65

Thanks, this is going well. I’ve just stopped using GYS Themed Categories, so I won’t need that plugin.

I’m happy that this is OK now, but I don’t know how to “mark this thread as resolved”.

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster

Ooops! I just realized I have to mark it as resolved, as I created it. Now done, and I’m on with producing the new MultiSite as a Shared ShrewdSite.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.