WordPress MultiSite Import Timetable: shrewdies.com

Home Forums Web Hosting Forum Web Business Projects Import Shrewdies.com to MultiSite WordPress MultiSite Import Timetable: shrewdies.com

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Keith Taylor 3 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster
    Ŧollars: Ŧ 1 ,170.38

I was tempted to over-complicate this project, and introduce a task checklist. It’s probably doable, with an embedded spreadsheet. But, I’d like to try the simple way first:

1. Anna: confirm the transfer layout is OK, and email the WordPress export file to me. No more updates on the existing standalone WordPress host.
    2. Keith: Import WordPress file and check all settings, and manually check 5 most popular URL’s. Also inform Anna to check as many pages and links as possible.
    3. Anna & Keith: Agree transfer site is acceptable.
    4. Keith: Delete existing shrewdies.com and open new MultiSite to public view.
    5. Keith: Run ShrewdSite Security Audit and ShrewdSite Commercial Audit (including broken links check) on new MultiSite.
    6. Anna: Resume content building. Consider project to improve website traffic following reorganization.
    7. Keith: Adjust TimeTurner theme for mobile viewing.
    8. Anna & Keith: Review project achievements and appreciate as required.

Let’s start with Step 1. I await your email.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by  Keith Taylor. Reason: Task 1 marked complete
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by  Keith Taylor. Reason: Full link checking moved to Shrewdsite Commercial audit. Item 2 marked complete. New item added for theme adjustment
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by  Keith Taylor. Reason: Tasks 3 & 4 marked complete. Task 5 started

Anna
    Participant
    Ŧollars: Ŧ 44.75

Brilliant!

I’m just emailing the WordPress export file now.

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster

Anna, please can you check the transfer website now, and I will continue with my checks. Please let me know tomorrow if the transferred site is acceptable or if there are any issues.

Anna
    Participant

Hey, it’s looking good, but I have found a few issues:

1. Pages with forms to signup for the update service have lost the input fields
    2. The search page doesn’t work anymore

My third issue isn’t actually a WordPress import issue. I should have checked this earlier, but the page layout doesn’t look good on most mobile’s. It’s fine in portrait mode, but in landscape, the header covers almost all the screen. Is there anything you can do about it?

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster

The missing information raises a new problem related to posts that have been amended by administrators. During the import, WordPress strips out certain HTML tags. This means SCRIPT, GCSE (Google Custom Search Codes), INPUT, and certain others get stripped out.

I’m amending my Preparation steps to reflect that I have to manually search WordPress Posts and Pages for those HTML tags, prior to starting the transfer process. I have now done this for Shrewdies.com, so I suggest we can now move to the next step, as long as you agree that there are no major issues.

I’ve added the TimeTurner theme changes as another step in this Import Timetable.

Anna
    Participant

Keith, there is one final issue that I’d like to resolve before switching to the new website. It ties in with an earlier post Where is the log-in link?.

I don’t want to encourage visitors to log-in to Shrewdies.com, so is it possible to switch that menubar off?

Sorry to be a pain, but I don’t want to mislead visitors. If it isn’t possible to switch it off, please can the Log In link direct to this forum? Once that Log In link is changed, or removed, it’s OK to change the transfer site to become the live website.

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster

Shrewdies.com is now live as a Shared ShrewdSite! The WordPress Multisite installation is complete, so now it’s time to assess what rewards this project has brought and see how we can improve in future.

Anna, I suggest you focus on tidying existing content for now, and reviewing old posts and pages. If they are not relevant, and not visited, consider deleting them. If you want to start a new project for improving website traffic, now is as good a time as any.

I will complete the website audits soon. I’ve completed the broken links check. There were a few broken links, but I’ve fixed them, and the checker robot reports “Processed 161 web pages, found 0 broken links”

If you have time, please report back on how much switching to WordPress MultiSite has achieved with respect to the purpose of this project:
    To reduce WordPress administration for Shrewdies.com, and improve CloudFlare security, by importing into Shared ShrewdSite.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.