WordPress SEO Yoast – Sitemap Not Found

Home Forums Web Hosting Forum WordPress SEO Yoast – Sitemap Not Found

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Keith Taylor 4 years ago.

• Author

Anna
    Participant
    Ŧollars: Ŧ 41.85

I’ve installed WordPress SEO by Yoast for the better sitemap that you recommend. I deleted the plugin for the old sitemap generator. Now, I don’t have any sitemap at all!

When I go to Admin – XML Sitemaps – Yoast SEO – General Settings, then click on the ‘XML Sitemap’ button, I get a 404 error, Page Not Found! Also, Google Search Console Sitemap test can’t see it.

I’ve searched on Google for ‘Yoast Sitemap Not Found’ and there’s lots of results, but they’re a bit scary. At the top of Yoast Knowledge Base article, it says:

First of all, let us be clear that this is usually not due to our plugin, but due to poorly coded themes and/or other plugins.

I’ve tried deactivating plugins but that didn’t work. My site is a child of the default WordPress TwentyFifteen, so I can’t believe that’s not working.

I tried to understand another page from the WordPress support forum for the WordPress SEO Yoast plugin. Apart from bad language, and claims that it’s better to use a different plugin, the only advice was to edit .htaccess. I’ve never done that before, and I’m afraid I might break my site completely.

What’s the best way forward? The plugin works great on other sites, just not on my latest WordPress installation.

Keith Taylor
    Keymaster
    Ŧollars: Ŧ 1 ,190.66

I don’t know why this happens with Yoast SEO, but I’ve also had this problem. I’ve also had problems with the support pages at WordPress.org. Because they are moderated inconsistently, many errors and poor quality posts can creep in. They are often useful, but not always. I urge anyone who is unsure about the advice given about plugins, to post your questions here, as Anna has done.

Anyway Anna, the answer that always works in my opinion is actually in that Yoast KB article that you mention. If you read past that rather smug intro, you see:

Sometimes resetting the permalink structure will quickly solve a 404 error from a recent change to your installation. Go to Admin > Settings > Permalinks and click save without altering anything.

In my experience, that has always worked for the main sitemap_index.xml

For the sake of completeness, I should point out another common problem with 404 Not Found errors and sitemaps. Yoast SEO gives you a multi-file sitemap. The main file has no entries, just links to subfiles. So, there’s a map of all your Posts, a separate map of all your Pages, your Taxonomies, etc.

If there are no entries for a particular type of sitemap, let’s say you haven’t used any WordPress Tags, then the corresponding sitemap will be missing. The best thing to do in that situation depends on where the 404 error originates from.

If you have problems with Yoast SEO sitemaps, I’m here to help. It’s very important to tell me what click to get the error message. Also tell me if you’ve tried the ‘Save Permalinks Without Changing’ trick.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.